Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Should I or shouldn't I?

Even before Dad died, I'd been thinking of trying an online dating service.

It's very difficult to meet single guys in my age group, possibly because they don't hang out at the grocery store (married or waaaay too young...although, hey, it worked for that Letourneau woman), or with people I work with (alas, surely they'd know all the single MDs, right? must not be any), the library (guys with tiny kids...one left at home and I'm counting the days, no more for me!), art class (mostly gay guys), or even at Pets & People (my one volunteer area).

Pets & People seems to be all women. And I wouldn't present the best image there anyway because I usually clean cages, feed dogs, and scoop poop (I leave the dog walking to the kids that volunteer. That way they'll keep coming). I can hear it now -- "She's soooo hot with dog pee all over her!" Yeah. That's the guy I want to date, sure.

And I don't think I'd want to date anyone I'd meet in inpatient psych; it's against all the rules of the BON, anyway (oh, that's Board of Nursing for those of you not in this profession).

I've been in a long term relationship, but it hasn't been satisfying; he's not reliable, isn't financially responsible, and when he left for vacation the day after Dad died, well, that was it for me. There's a minimum standard that has to be met and that was it. Yeah, probably ought to raise those standards while I'm at it.

So, I don't know. That relationship has been a long time dying. It's always scary to start all over again. And I don't really know how I'm going to meet someone...although I did tell the residents I'd help them with their IRB submissions and in return, they had to be on the lookout for nice, single, 50ish guys. Hey, you never know.

6 comments:

Gone Away said...

You have a clear, and realistic eye that is refreshing in its honesty. Your writing style, too, is delightful, without pretence or vanity. Surely there must be someone out there who would fall for such a gem as you. I sincerely hope so for you deserve to find him.

Oh, I finally remembered where I know Nurse Ratchett from: she was the nurse in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, wasn't she?

Harvey Young said...

Jodie:

Another visitor from Gone's site. It seems to me that you already have this figured out. Whether it is on-line dating or not, I think you have the communication skills to make a relationship with an intelligent guy work. As for the dying relationship, just let that go. You have got to move from in order to move to.

Like the rest of our little gang, I will be stopping back soon.

Jodie said...

Oh, you all are so nice. :)

Yes, you are right about Nurse Ratchett. I played her in high school and figure I was cast against type -- therefore, "alter ego".

The Bubaker said...

It's worth try surely Jodie? I think it should be fine if you use common sense and discretion...

Harry said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Harry said...

Hello, Jodie. I taggeg along with the Gone gang, late as usual, and with no sound advice to your dilemma at all, since my wife found me on laying on a beach minding my own business, and trying to avoid the whole business of dating.