Thursday, April 07, 2005

Helping the Homeless

Wow, I can't believe I let time get away from me like that -- a whole week since I've posted. Then again, I really wore myself out.

The garage sale for charity was a lot of fun. All the volunteers were women (with the exception of an elderly antiques dealer who looked like an antique himself...a particularly dusty one that's been stuck back in the corner so long that it's been forgotten). I was assigned to "kitchen/housewares", which encompassed everything from junky gewgaws to ancient glass coffee jars, small kitchen appliances and everything you could imagine. We got all kinds of buyers -- fashionable ladies in expensive clothing to people with no teeth and filthy clothes. It's hard to believe that people will ask if they can buy something marked $5 for a nickel (and those fashionable ladies can be the worst) -- we got a lot of those -- but we also got the people who'd walk up and give a donation for the dogs without buying anything. I think the homeless dogs received about $7,000 from this sale, so at least they won't go hungry.

I did get hit on at the sale...while he seemed like a nice person, he just wasn't for me. But that has seemed to indicate some kind of turnaround in the dating department...some kind of cosmic karmic shift...all of a sudden there are men everywhere. Most of 'em not even close to the right man -- but I only want one, anyway, so it's all good.

There's Mr. Corvette. Nice guy, good ole boy, retires in 4 years and is off to see the world on his Harley. Obviously our longterm goals don't match, but in the short term, all he really wants is someone to see movies/theater/concerts with, go out to dinner with, and walk with; he really loves the outdoors. He doesn't seem to be materialistic, but he does love his wheels.

Then there's Mr. Manic, who can't sit still, talks too much and has some odd ideas -- but he was also very funny -- leading to outrageous, snorting, guffawing laughter. If I were into diagnosing my dates, well, he'd be the grand prize winner...not sure if I want to see him again. Maybe.

And Mr. LaidBack, who is this Saturday's blind date. Nice on the phone and email, intelligent, starting a new career as a graphic artist. Liberal politics, kind persona.

Lastly, Mr. Sweetie, who seems to be very tender-hearted. Politically conservative (eek), active in church, but just a little subversive within that structure. Plus he claims to cook and clean. Our political views are poles apart, but...only time will tell.

Not only that, but Jamie found someone she wants me to meet. Looks like my dance card is going to be full for awhile!

9 comments:

Gone Away said...

Feast and famine, Jodie. 'Twas always the way... ;)

Jay said...

I'm glad it went well, but you're right, those old ladies will always try to get the most for the least, even when charity is concerned, and especially considering they have the most money to burn.

Glod said...

Wow, you really attract the men with the unusual yet strangly decriptive names.

Jodie said...

Hi Glod! Amazing, isn't it?

Ned said...

Then there are the men with the unusual yet strangely non-descriptive names. Waves at Glod ;)

Glod said...

Why is Glod so greetable, have I done something wrong and everyone is trying to be nice so I don't notice?

Rhodester said...

Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley (you only live once, jodie) GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY Harley GUY

Jodie said...

Dave, you want an introduction? :D

Rhodester said...

to YOU, yeah..

I'm saying slap yer butt on the back of that Harley and GO. Once they're shoveling dirt on you it'll be too late to live.