Monday, April 18, 2005

Skeletons in the Closet

It's a funny thing, but people often find themselves telling me things they'd never tell anyone else. Strangers on a plane, people in line at the grocery store, patients, friends, family...not that I mind...partly I'm naturally nosy, and partly I like to help people sort things out. This was a valuable talent when I did psychiatric interviews; my trauma patients and paranoid schizophrenic patients -- the two groups my colleagues had the most trouble getting information from -- were always willing to talk to me. Antisocial personalities -- that's another story. They don't tell anyone any truths unless it will get them something.

When I was 5 or so, I read The Jungle Book. I was fascinated by the story and by the way Mowgli charmed the wolves by looking into their eyes and not looking away or blinking. And I started doing that myself. It wasn't until many years later that a friend told me, "Jodie, it really makes me uncomfortable that you make so much eye contact -- it's too intense."

Really, I think this is why people tell me things. And sometimes even they are surprised that they told me.

So this weekend, Mr. Sweetie surprised himself by telling me that he's been married 5 times previously. We then had quite a long talk about his need to do things for his exwife (after two years of being divorced, he is still mowing her lawn, doing her electrical work, fixing her car...you get the picture) and why he continues to need her approval. So, no, no, no.

The relationship with Mr. LaidBack, though, is shaping up nicely. He brought his portfolio to show me his work (and WOW -- he is very talented). We went to the park and walked slowly, sat often (my hip hurts way more than natural childbirth or having a tooth drilled sans novocaine -- both of which I have experienced) and talked much, everything from music to the incredible variety of iris flowers blooming there.

There's nothing quite like sitting on the grass under a shady tree, while light breezes caress you, the occasional sunbeam warms your face, and someone gives you sweet, soft kisses.

And the rose garden should be blooming next weekend...

7 comments:

Glod said...

Don't cure Mr.Sweetie too much, when you get bored of him won't you want free gardening?

Keeefer said...

Starey Scarey Jodie....i think people tell you things because you are staring intensley. Its like being stuck on the bus with the escaped mental patient blocking your way to the aisle. You sit and watch him drooling onto his own knees, you say somthing to try and get past him... and the next thing you know you are appologising for your forefathers invading some island in the pacific with nothing on it but a mango tree, meanwhile hes getting more and more animated bouncing on the seat, still staring at you and still drooling.


I prefer Plastic Flamingo Jodie....she seems less likely to bury you under the patio

Gone Away said...

Well I think Glod made a very good point...

Jodie said...

You guys are BAAAAD. :D But it WOULD be nice to have someone come out and get rid of the trumpet vine that's taking over my yard....hmmm....

Jay said...

It's bizarre because I make a lot of eye contact also, walking down the street I look at people and smile, and people think this is weird because most people walk with their eyes downcast all the time. And oddly enough I am/was also in the psych profession. Must be a "thing".

Rhodester said...

I like to wear women's clothes, but only around the apartment while my wife is at work. I pretend to be Judy Garland and I dance with the hat rack, pretending that it's Fred Astaire.

Darn.. why did I tell you that?

Jodie said...

Hey, Jay, maybe it is one of those things. Makes sense.

Dave, you should put up some of those pictures on your site... :D