Thursday, August 04, 2005

Back Tack

I previously blogged about BackTack, an online craft swap in which one person sends fabric and trims and a second person makes up a notions holder who then sends it to yet a third person. There are a lot of links here, but you'll find some very creative people on the other end.

I know, it sounds complicated, but it was a heck of a lot of fun. First I got to go through my fabric stash for the perfect thing to send to my first BackTack Buddy (who, BTW, made this for HER buddy)...then I waited patiently to receive the totally gorgeous fabric my second BackTack buddy sent me...in the meantime reading the blog of my third BackTack buddy so I'd know what to send in her package to make her day...then trying to figure out what I was going to do with the gorgeous yet (to me) angst-producing slippery, hard to sew with fabric that I'd heard my mother complain about for YEARS.

Mom made most of my clothes, through high school in the 70s...and the 70s was one of the few decades that you could wear polyester and satin and panne velvet and all those other slippery fabrics and be right in style. And every fabric I wanted was a slippery one...and with every one, Mom would turn out something beautiful, but would complain frequently (OK, constantly, but I feel vaguely guilty now when I think about all the times I bought yet more slippery fabrics) about how hard it was to sew. So of course, I was terrified of the oriental brocade my buddy sent me. Although I haven't totally overcome my traumatic experiences with slippery fabric, I think eventually I could learn to like sewing with it.

My fourth BackTack buddy is absolutely awesome. Not only did she make me the coolest notions basket, but she also made a journal cover, a scissors holder, a nifty thread holder AND a pincushion...she also sent notions, and tiny canvases (for painting) AND chocolate (the chocolate is loooong gone).


All I can say is "Wow!" and "When can we play again?"

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jodie,

I love your blog. I'm a radio producer in Boston, MA, I work on the show Open Source www.radioopensource.org. At the end of our shows we do a three minute audio portrait of a blog and blogger. I would love to interview you over the phone. If this intersts you could you please email me and/or call. chelsea@radioopensource.org, cell phone: 617-515-3779. Feel free to contact me over the weekend.

Regards, Chelsea

Leann said...

How awesome Jodie...take her up on it!!

Cool stuff from Back Tack. I love the fabric..hope you do something fun with it and then show us!!

Jodie said...

Hey, radio sounds like fun! I'll call you later, Chelsea. Leann, I sewed the pink fabric into that thing that folds into a square (I was particularly pleased with the clear vinyl pockets, although every time I folded it up, something or other would fall out of them...oh well. Next time...

Lita said...

Wow. Congrats Jodie.

Gone Away said...

Hah! I discovered you first!

Stephanie said...

What a neat idea! Oh, and BTW - I've placed a link to you on the Daily Vegetable. :)

Maureen said...

Radio?!!! You lucky dog. Hope you take her up on it and I hope it's available on real audio. I'd love to be able to put a voice to the face and the blog.

bethanie said...

Yeah! It WAS an awesome backtack event. I hope there's another one real soon.

Cool - radio!!!! You rock!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am glad that I found your blog! Great stuff. My dental insurance alternatives site is similar and I am looking forward to visitors who want to know about dental insurance alternatives in depth.

Lee said...

Hmmm....maybe they have a back Tack for beer. I'd be up for that.

Third Degree Nurse said...

Great basket, Jodie! And I agree with the other folks...I think the radio show would be great. Go for it.

Jodie said...

Looks like I get my 3 minutes of fame on Friday, but we'll tape Wednesday or Thursday (there's some construction going on at the station and it's pretty noisy on their end). How cool is that?!

Lee, I think that's a GREAT idea -- wanna start it up? :D