Thursday, March 09, 2006

His eyes are closed, long lashes black against the roses of his cheek. Golden stubble covers his chin where his beard has started to grow in. His chest moves up and down. The vein at the side of his neck pulses rhythmically. He looks peaceful; and it seems as though he is sleeping soundly, but might wake at any time.

Except that he won't; the scans all indicate that there is nothing left of Jeron's intellect. I hope his spirit stuck around long enough to see how much his family and friends love him.

They will turn the machines off tonight. He'd elected to give the gift of himself to someone in need, so perhaps he will spare another family the grief he has given his own.

Goodbye, Jeron. Someday I hope to see what you look like with your wings on.

5 comments:

Leann said...

Jodie,

I knew when I read the first sentence where this post was going. I'm so very sorry.

Suicide is something I'll never understand. My daughter lost a good friend to the same madness. I'll never forget the pain she and her friends went thru trying to understand why.

Blessings and prayers.
Leann

Jodie said...

This has been really hard. Thanks.

girl_in_greenwood said...

Jodie, when I saw you had some new entries, I was so glad to see you posting again... but I am so sorry that the occasion is so sad. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Aine said...

I hope he'll find peace now.

annelynn said...

I am so sorry.