Friday, March 17, 2006

Nurse vs. Leprechaun

St. Patrick's Day is inextricably linked for me with my friend Bev. She has classical Irish good looks -- fair skin, red hair, and green eyes -- and is very proud of her Irish heritage. For the past 7 years, we've been talking about taking a trip to Ireland once Gavin graduates from high school.

I hope we pull it off. We're looking at B&Bs, couchsurfing (which I have actually tried and enjoyed -- thanks to Adele of Albuquerque), and a bicycle or walking tour; we hope to stay for 2-4 weeks. Bev's quite a homebody (she has perfected the art of "if you can't find happiness in your own backyard, you can't find it anywhere") but she assures me that we will make this happen. We're within a year or two of talking this trip, and I'm starting to get the trip planning itch.

She and I used to work together long ago, doing schizophrenia studies. On one St. Patrick's Day, we were visiting our patients in the hospital, and this conversation ensued with a psychotic but gregarious young man. Bev was wearing an apple green blouse that day, which really set off her eyes and hair.

Patient to Bev: "Are you a doctor?"
Bev (head down, writing a note in a chart): "No."
Patient: "Well then, are you a leprechaun?"

Both Bev and I are very good at accepting whatever we hear without a blink, but I can't begin to tell you how hard we laughed at this. Luckily, the patient seemed to think it was hilarious too.

1 comment:

Leann said...

A bit o blarney for this day eh?

That was a very cute relay of conversation :-)