Monday, August 29, 2005

My Affirmation for the Day

Picture this: I'm at the post office with 19 packages from the Ebay stuff I sold last week. It's late afternoon, and there's one not-quite-civil servant working the desk. I'm the last one in line for a good 15 minutes. Finally, I'm at the head of the line and waiting my turn, and an elderly gentleman, dapper in a bright yellow zoot-style suit with brown stripes and matching hat, strolls up. Somehow, he's debonair enough to pull off this amazing outfit; the only other person who could have managed it would be Cab Calloway.

I'm clutching my armful of packages, well aware that I haven't filled out my customs forms for the foreign ones yet, and he has three letters...so of course I say, "Please go ahead of me."

In a mild southern accent, he says "Are you sure?"

How often do you have to persuade someone who wants only stamps to go ahead of you?

After a little persuasion, he finally acquiesces, and then turns to ask me, "What do you think of Nawlins and the hurricane? Don't you think that's going to cost us a lot of money?"

I say, "Well, if it were a tornado or an earthquake here, we'd be costing THEM a lot of money. I'd rather be warm and dry and pay to help them."

He looks me in the eye, grins, and says, "Miss, I LIKE the way you think."

6 comments:

Gone Away said...

I like the way you think, too. :)

Glod said...

Love is in the air...

Dooby dobby doo doo...

However it goes (the song, above) is not of importance. What is, however, is whether or not you managed to get his phone number, so did you?

Jodie said...

Should I send it to you Glod? :D Thanks, Clive!

Jay said...

Heh, that's awesome.

Running2Ks said...

I like the way you think too!

Keeefer said...

sounds like a good encounter in a post office. I usually get stuck behind the woman with the toddler who insists on grabbing my leg and wiping its snotty nose on my jeans. Still i guess motherhood does strange things to people